A flavor explosion in a pot! Comes together quickly- chicken thighs baked to crispy perfection on a bed of fragrant rice and beans.
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2- garlic clove , minced
- ½ medium onion , diced
- 1 1/2 -2 teaspoons creole spice (adjust to taste with salt)
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 13.5 oz . can (1¾ cups) coconut milk
- 15.5 oz . can red kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon white ground white pepper
- Salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth or water
- 1- teaspoon chicken bouillon (optional)
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoons paprika (optional)
Jerk Chicken Thighs
- 2 1/2 -3 pound chicken thighs (about 5-6)
- 1 1/2 - teaspoon salt
- ½- teaspoon chicken bouillon powder (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons Jerk Seasoning (Homemade here)
Wash chicken thighs, for faster cooking make a 1/2 " slit into chicken thigh meat on either side of the chicken wipe with a paper towel. Season with salt( about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
Rub both sides with generous amount of the spice blend. Or your favorite spice mix
Place chicken skin side up in a skillet / Dutch oven or oven safe pot/pan for about 3 minutes each, be very careful with the chicken, it shouldn’t burn. Remove from the pan and set aside
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F
Meanwhile place t rice into a large bowl, cover with cold water and use your hands to wash the grains. Tip the water out then repeat twice until the water runs clear.
Wipe pan with paper towel or napkin to remove any burns from pan.
Add about 2 Tablespoons oil, followed by onions, thyme, garlic and sauté until soft but not golden, about 2-3 minutes. Then add rice, beans
And all the remaining ingredients, Chicken stock,Coconut milk, paprika, white pepper, salt and bouillon. Add chicken, bring to a boil.
Place in the oven and cook for about 30- 35 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
Remove let it cool and serve.