Jamaican Brown Beef Short Ribs Stew- You only need 10 minutes prep to make this rich, fragrant, braised short ribs stew and its fall off the bone delicious!
- 2 1/2- 3 pounds short ribs
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
- Scotch bonnet pepper or 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1-2 small bell pepper
- 2-3 cups broth/water or more
- 1-2 Green Onions diced
- 1 teaspoon bouillon powder adjust to taste optional
- Salt to taste
Preheat oven to 375° degrees.
Season short ribs with salt and pepper to thoroughly cover all sides
Heat the oil an oven safe Dutch oven pan over medium heat. Add short ribs and brown well, turning once, about 2 -3 minutes per side, until short ribs are brown. Do not overcrowd pan. Cook in batches, if necessary.
Drain any excess oil from the skillet and leave about 2 Tablespoons of oil. Add onions, green onions, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf; scotch bonnet pepper or hot sauce. Stir for about 2-3 minutes until onions is translucent.
Then add ketchup, browning sauce, brown sugar, bell pepper, bouillon and or water. Bring to a boil cover the pan and place in the preheated oven for 21/2 -3 hours. Check periodically during the cooking process and add more water, if needed. Turn the ribs over halfway through the cooking time.
Adjust for salt, pepper and soup consistency.
- You can’t rush these short ribs; they have to spend some time braising in liquid in order to get it melting tender. The good news is that, it is hands off, in the oven or stove- top.
- To prevent meat sticking to the pan make sure it is completely dry and free of water.
- After cooking feel free to drain some of the oil from the short ribs.